Join in the challenges and triumphs of teaching, learning, living, and the everyday happenings.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sunday, fishing, and money

Sunday I was lucky enough to convince my soon-to-be husband to join me at school for the day. While I did need his help with moving a few large items and some nerdery I mostly just wanted his company for what I suspected would be a long day. He is taking a class on discreet mathematics so I figured he could bring that course work and use the computers at school while I worked. Success on my part! We spent nearly 8 hours there, I was busy organizing, and preparing the room since I did not get the time before school started to do all that. I got all the materials and resources straightened out and now each subject has it's own neat cabinet instead of stuff just kind of everywhere. I made copies for the first part of this week, and set up posters and my word wall and prepared jobs and class money. There was still more work to do yesterday but I did that at home. Another big thing was I got up to date with grades and even had two girls that were able to sort and pass back papers for me today, so they are even out of my hands!
Today started off a little rocky with the chaos that is Tuesday mornings and then some. Positive Actions for 1st - 3rd grades was in my room this morning, which took from getting settled in time and we got a late start on SIPPS. But a quick little chuckle was one of my students looked down from the start. I tried to figure out what was wrong but he did not want to communicate with me in English, nor would he tell his cousin or other friends in the class in Spanish what was wrong. After some coaxing from myself and an aide we were able to get him to walk down to the office where we could have our ELL coordinator try to figure out what was wrong. Well turns our after she chatted with him for awhile he was attempting to be sick and go home because he wanted to go fishing. Smart cookie knowing that sick equals home, but he had to stay the day. Surprisingly enough we had a really great day after he realized he couldn't go home and maybe should enjoy himself as much as possible.
I ran off copies of our Wise Rewards, play money, we will be using in our class this year. I want to use them as an incentive for good behavior as much as possible. While I have not yet worked out the wrinkles, I'm thinking each student will get 5 dollars at the end of the week for their job, and they can earn dollars throughout the week as well, and even by having a parent sign their agenda book, for every 20 times they bring back their homework and have it signed, as well as other good/positive behavior. They will loose dollars/points if they need me to make another copy of a worksheet they should still have. And anything else we decide as a class,when they loose money for negatives that money will go into my BANK, paying me for their disruptions, this I think will cut down a lot.
I ramble, I am exhausted but really wanted to post today.
Oh yea, can't wait to see how they respond to their desks being rearranged into a horse-shoe shape tonight.
Must sleep spent 12 hours at school today and am nodding off as I type.

1 comment: